Thursday, January 27, 2011

Old-Fashioned Blended With Modern Technology



In this day of the technology era, being a homesteader, even a "modern homesteader" sounds to others like you are living like the Amish or like they did in the 1800s. People will always say, "You are living old-fashioned." Nothing could be further from the truth. Even our own family members think that.............even though we know more about the new modern technology than they do!

I have quoted my husband many times, saying, "We are  not living old-fashioned at all, but of the future.............blending old ways with new technology and ways of the modern world. One of the ways of the modern world we are trying to overcome is in the use of gasoline. Fuels. Propane for our gas stove. Kerosene for our light in the evening. Gasoline for our chainsaw, generator and truck. Some day our dream is to own an electric vehicle and charge it with our own system.


We already use an electric lawn mower and garden cart. In the garden we use an old fashioned tool, the wheel hoe. No gas fumes coming from a rototiller on our garden beds or the person using it. Plus, no buying the gas to run it or all the maintenance to keep it running or all the break downs. I can even use the wheel hoe in my beds. Not to mention the modern technology of using solar for electricity. Now who can call that old-fashioned?

The chainsaw and the generator are two items that will be hard to replace. One item my husband keeps wanting to buy is the crosscut saw. He says it will be easier to use than a chainsaw and he won't have to buy the gas. I know many people would not want to use one because the chainsaw is quicker and less work. But the fumes from one is reason enough to not want to have to use one. They also take a lot of maintenance and money for repairs. Our chainsaw is a good one, but replacing the chains, sharpening chains, etc. would all be eliminated with the crosscut saw. My husband says he would enjoy cutting wood in silence immensely.

Using computers makes us able to keep on top of technology and ways to make our jobs easier. The jobs or tools we use that are old-fashioned are often being used by us because it is a better alternative. Just because a tool is manual or doesn't use any other energy source other than your hand power doesn't mean it is not a good alternative. You can pick and choose what you want to use for each job.


What about you? Are there any tools you use around your home, in the kitchen or outside that have been used in past and are considered old-fashioned? Why do you like them? I will be doing some future posts about some of the tools I use or that I have used or plan to use. Some will be old-fashioned or antiques. Some will be new modern technology. Let me know what you would like to use that you don't use. Maybe I can do some research on those too.


Copyright © 2011  Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2011  Kathleen G. Lupole

7 comments:

deniborin said...

interesting article .. according to my study.. thanks
best regards from indonesia

D.M. McGowan said...

My draw-knife! The very simplist of design, a tool that's been around for centuries and there are some jobs that not other tool can do better.
Old fashioned? Sure! Modern replacement? None.
A team of heavy horses that is working can be maintained from 10 acres here in the Peace River Country. I defy any one to maintain any tractor from 10 acres regardless of the crop.
Dave
www.dmmcgowan.blogspot.com

katlupe said...

Yes,my husband uses a draw-knife also. He used it during the building of our barn, as well as on other jobs. Thank you for your comment. I will check out your blog.

Fiddler's Green said...

I can relate to your husband about the handtools. I've put quite a collection together over the years. It's funny when my teenaged stepson helps me when I'm building something. He's absolutely fascinated seeing them in operation after growing up with their power counterparts. I'd say go for that crosscut saw. I bought my first for $30 and all it needed was a cleaning. I sawed up an entire oak tree with it in three days. It's one of the most satisfying things I've ever done. I bought a second from ebay for less than $10 and brought it back from the dead to teach myself how to sharpen saws. I just wrote a blog about it yesterday. Check it out if you like. Just found your blog and love it.
www.fidsgreen.blogspot.com

katlupe said...

Thank you Fiddler! I am going to check it out now. The crosscut saw may make a comeback this year with the high cost of fuel! Gives you exercise and the means to heat and cook.

Nick said...

Your article mentioned a wheel hoe. I wondered which one you use? I was thinking about getting this Hoss wheel hoe and wanted to hear what other wheel hoe users thought.

katlupe said...

Nick, I have pictures of it on older posts. Put wheel hoe in my search box and you will see more posts about it. Here is one:
http://katlupesblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/plowing-garden-with-wheel-hoe.html